The Historisches Kolleg
Founded in 1980, the Historisches Kolleg has been located in Munich’s Kaulbach Villa between the Bavarian State Library and the English Garden since 1988. In essence, it grants scholarships to scholars to complete a book free from other obligations. In addition, the Historisches Kolleg is a lively center of historical research as a venue for scientific colloquia and lectures. Many of his events are aimed at a wider audience. The “Preis des Historischen Kollegs” is awarded every three years – the next time in 2025.
The Historisches Kolleg is located in Munich’s Maxvorstadt between the Bavarian State Library and the English Garden. The college, located at Kaulbachstraße 15, is a five-minute walk from the University stop (subway lines 3 and 6; bus lines 58, 68, 153, and 154). The Odeonsplatz stop (subway lines 3, 4, 5 and 6; bus lines 100 and 153) is within a ten-minute walk.
Phone +49 (0)89 28 66 38 0
Fax +49 (0)89 28 66 38 63
Board of Trustees
The Historisches Kolleg is managed by an eleven-member Board of Trustees, headed by a chairperson. Among other things, the Board of Trustees is responsible for announcing fellowships, selecting fellows, and advising on matters of fundamental importance to the College. Currently, the Board of Trustees of the Historisches Kolleg is chaired by the ancient historian Professor Dr. Hartmut Leppin.
The Historisches Kolleg was founded in Munich in 1980. Since 1988, the college has been based in the Kaulbach Villa, the former home and studio of the painter Friedrich August von Kaulbach, built by Gabriel von Seidl between 1887 and 1889.
Since many years, the Historisches Kolleg has worked closely with a number of cooperation partners in the area of scholarship support, events and projects. Since 2011, the Historisches Kolleg and the Max Weber Foundation have cooperated by jointly awarding the International Forschungspreis der Max Weber Stiftung beim Historischen Kolleg.
Friends of the Historisches Kolleg
On December 13, 1999, the association “Freundeskreis des Historischen Kollegs” was constituted. The Board of Trustees of the Historisches Kolleg, which took the initiative, decided to take this step out of the conviction that in the future it will be even more necessary than before to anchor the Historisches Kolleg in the interested public and to win them over to the idealistic and material support of its work. The “community” that has formed from the audience at the public lectures of the Historisches Kolleg over the years in Munich, but not only from Munich residents, offers the natural conditions for this.
The Freundeskreis des Historischen Kollegs is entered in the Register of Associations at the Munich District Court and has been recognized as a non-profit organization by the Munich Tax Office for Corporations.
If you would like to become a member of the Circle of Friends, please contact Dr. Karl-Ulrich Gelberg directly, who will be happy to send you the necessary documents.
Newsletter of the Historisches Kolleg